Cappadocia region was formed 60 million years ago by erosion of soft layers of lava and ash from Mount Erciyes (Argeus), Mount Hasan and Mount Güllü composing with wind and rain over millions of years.
Here are just a few of the most popular things to do in Cappadocia.
- Hiking through Pigeon or Rose Valley: You can go with a guide or by yourself – just remember to take water with you
- Exploring one of the fascinating underground cities, used by early Christians
- Going up a hot air balloon to watch the sunrise from the air – and get the perfect Cappadocia photo
- Visit the Goreme Open Air Museum – an easy and accessible way to see cave churches with colourful frescos
- Getting a small taste of local culture at a Cultural Night: There’s a good chance you’ll find yourself at one of these… just be warned that these are very touristy!